Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Music city hostel, Nashville Tennessee





The idea of a hostel is a great one. People from all over the world sharing living quarters and hanging out. They are usually traveling and have great stories and are laid back and young. Some hostels are not very good but the Music City Hostel in Nashville is one of the best.

It looks like apartments with a big patio grassy area in between. The rooms are painted with musical notes and the walls have faces of famous musicians colored on them. Each room has about 16 beds and one bathroom but somehow it’s enough. Kelly, Tay, and Jess dropped me off and went to a hotel. I wonder how Jess likes being in a hotel room with a couple who haven’t shared a real bed together in 4 days. Oh well. When I first got here I was a little shy because everyone seemed to know each other but the girl in the office showing me around was nice. After I went to my room and put my stuff down I went to hang out outside. They have trees and chairs where people are outside talking and pretty much everyone has a musical instrument and can sing. I sat under a tree listening to Jared jam on the guitar to some Neill Young, how perfect. After a while more people came to sit with me. Then Jared came over to me and we started talking. He is like a mirror of myself. A few months ago he started on a journey quite like mine. He said he was lost and searching for freedom, searching for somewhere or someone. He kept a picture book throughout his journey and it brought tears to my eyes. He said that everything happens the way it is supposed to, everything happens for a reason. He works at the hostel now because a few months ago he got off on the wrong exit and was lost but got found here. He is very inspiring and I started to realize that I am not alone. The great thing about Jared also was that he got me to play the piano once again.

I played the piano for 7 years and have stopped for about 7 years. I forgot everything. I look at the notes and they are swiggles. But we sat down and he taught me for a little and by the end of an hour we were playing “Hey Jude” and “Angel” by Jimi and “killing me softly.” It brought out a side of me that was buried.

After that I started to meet more people. One of my roommates Claire is Australian but lives in Canada and works in Whistler. She is going to Burning Man, we might see each other. So after hours of sitting on the porch drinking beer and meeting friends me, 3 guys that went to Bonnaroo (Ansel, Mike, and Alex) and Claire went to the local bar to see live music. Apparently every Monday there is an open mic night at this bar and all the people that work in the hostel go play there. We had 2 pitchers and great food. Then Ansell Alex and I went down town and had a great night.

I love Nashville and I have only been here for one day. It is very musical; everywhere has live music and is decorated. The first bar we went to they were shooting a music video. I think the song is called “one more drinking song” because that’s what he kept singing about 5 times. Met some great people. Danced a lot. Met some hot Australian guys that bought a van and for the next 10 months are driving and surfing. Next they are going to California then South America. They asked if I wanted to come and I really do. I guess I didn’t have the balls to go with them last night but I have my own journey.

After that I had my first white castle experience. It was ok. We got 20 burgers between the 3 of us. They were small and I had 3 before passing out. Now I have quite a headache but it’s on to the next day.

Don’t get stuck in a rut. Go out and be scared and put yourself out there and you will receive so much, so I’m learning slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment