Saturday, June 4, 2011

Texadelphia, texas philly cheese steaks


The first day is behind me. The first day was the scariest, probably, but then it got good.

The plane ride was ok. At the Austin airport waiting for my luggage I was next to Manny from Modern Family. It was him, blue Jordan high tops and a black French hat. I asked if it was him and he said yes then I gave him a hug and went on my day.

Andrew, my couchsurfer, texted me to meet him downtown so I went to information and asked where the bus was and for maps and for general information, nice old man helped. I got on the airport flyer which heads to downtown and that’s when I felt it, the freedom of traveling and excitement of unknown. I got dropped off downtown with my big suitcase and walked around for a bit. It was really hot and humid so after a half hour I went to a place called Buffalo Billairds and had a local beer. Then I walked to meet Andrew on 4th and Lacava. He picked me up with his roommate and we went to his house. Both of them are awesome and I am extremely lucky to have such wonderful hosts. The car ride wasn’t awkward at all, we joked and got to know each other. When we got home we had beers and played records and met his other roommate. They are all going to Bonnaroo as well. After a while Andrew and I went to get something to eat and then went walking downtown. The University of Texas is here in Austin and you can really tell. Even though its summer and finals are over the streets were filled, and I mean filled, with high-heeled gals and guys holding their hands and clubs with music and dancers. It was craziness. Way crazier and busier than Arizona.

Then after a couple hours, some alcohol, and some pool we went home and Andrew jammed on his guitar for an hour or so. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles, Janis Joplin and I sang along. Then he went to him room and I went on the couch. Little did I know my night would not be over.

A few minutes after I turned out the lights I get a call from, we will call him Bill. Bill is a guy who went to the UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA with me. We dated for a little bit but I could tell that he was absolutely perfect. I felt like we were headed down the road to the big “I really like you” moment when he got a job in Austin and left. 6 months went by and now I am here and I told him. He picked me up last night and it was like old times but our new selves, it was great. Skinny-dipping and lots of fun after.

First night was a success.

1 comment: