Tuesday, June 7, 2011

the memphis train





Memphis is awesome! I had such a great time here yesterday and last night.

So when I got off the plane I called my couchsurfer Adam but his phone was off. I texted him and left a message but no answer, so ok I took a cab downtown to a hostel that I had looked up. When I got to the “hostel” I took one look and told the cab driver to take me to a hotel. The “hostel” looked like an old run down apartment slash crack house. It had no sign with a name and no sign of people. Definitely sketchy. So I went to the double tree, it was sold out but this really nice man helped me call around and find a room. I found one across the street at the Peabody.

The Peabody is very nice and luxurious. Even though it was a little pricy I figured I could treat myself with a queen sized bed and wonderful sheets since I am heading to Bonnaroo on Wednesday. Four days in the heat with out a shower or a bed. But right after I got into my room Adam called, said his phone died. Oh well I guess it wasn’t meant to be although staying with him would have been preferable. He already had one couchsurfer there and was expecting more. Anyway

I walked around. At first I did not like it because there were no people anywhere. But then I got to Beale St, Wow. It is so lively. Live music pretty much everywhere. Restaurants, bars, and patios. I walked into a show outside, the guys were playing all the classics, Jimi, Lou, Buddy, Al. I stayed there for about an hour. Then I walked down the street and heard another show. This one was amazing. A lady with her Memphis king band and beer served outside. After a beer, I got another bought for me by the band I heard earlier. Then I met the Australians who were at the table in front of me. I heard the accent and had to come over. Andy and Andrew are from the Gold Coast and are best mates, they used to be romantically involved but aren’t anymore. We had such a great time and got drunk with everyone there. As the night went on we met some other cuties, Jared from Louisiana stuck out and we danced the night away. I met people going to Bonnaroo! We all partied at the bar down the street, there was a live band in there also. Even though I was by myself I had a great time with the friends I met. We danced together and drank together and laughed together and hugged each other and yelled bonna who, BonnaRoo!!!!!

Then I went back to my lovely hotel room and slept. Today Kelly, Taylor, and Jessica are picking me up and we are heading to Bonnaroo and spending a month driving around together until Electric Forest Festival in July. I am very lucky and finally am having a great time.

1 comment:

  1. aussies aussies everywhere. your adventures are bringing smiles to my face :)

    ReplyDelete