Monday, June 13, 2011

Bonnarooooooo






It has been quite a ride so far. After Kelly, Taylor, and Jess picked me up in Memphis we had beer and bbq on Beale st then headed off to find a spot to camp between Memphis and Manchester. We drove for about 2 hours when we got to a camp ground that had a real bathroom and showers! The next day we drove to Manchester and as soon as we got in Bonnaroo was in the air. We went to wall mart to stock up on goodies and it was packed full of Bonnarooers. It was like staples on the last day of summer but 100 times better. You could feel the good vibes in the air. We got our supplies and headed to the car. The parking lot of wall mart was absolutely filled with people camping out, playing music, drinking beer, and sitting in chairs, all waiting to go into Bonnaroo.

By the way it is unbelievably hot in Tennessee. Super hot, super humid. Then we drove to get in the line of cars to get into Bonnaroo. We waited in line for 2 hours but it was so fun. We were moving slow, Tay was driving so Kelly, Jess, and I got out and met the cars in front and behind us and walked to see the top. We were so exited to finally be there and every one is so happy and exited as well. The van in front of us was from Wisconsin. Cutie from Wisconsin Patrick really left an impression. They are so friendly, say hi and smiling and yelling “Bonnaroo.” By the time we got in and set up our camp spot it was about 3 hours later. We got lucky with a spot. It was on a walkway of grass and next to amazing people. Jerseyers on one side, Minnesotaers on the other, and everyone else that wasn’t from California (it seemed) in between. Giant smoke sesh was in session that night and the next day it all began.

It is so hot that you can only sleep until 8, 8:30 the latest. Jess and I shared a tent and the couple Kelly and Tay shared the other. Bonnaroo is so large, so much walking that it hurts and no shade. Over 100,000 people and a lot of dust. But that doesn’t matter when you’re there. Lying down on the ground is heaven, never felt so good. My feet are still womping hard. Every day is so different. Different concerts and different people you meet.

j.Cole. Atmosphere. Beats Antique!!!!! Freelance whales. My Morning Jacket. Primus. Bassnectar. Pretty Lights. Shpongle!!!!!! Oh my word Shpongle was incredible. Absolutely great. Pretty Lights was amazing also. So amazing that he blew out the left speaker on the last song. That night we didn’t get back to our tents till 6 am. I was completely drained and had nothing left. I went to bed for about 2 hours before the heat kept us up. Lying down outside you were sweaty, in the shade you were sweaty, there was no escape from the heat. The next day we didn’t go in until an hour before the Black Keys. I got there an hour early to get a good spot while the rest of my friends went to !!! (pronounced check check check) The Black Keys killed it. They blew everyone away. The love continues. Then the most amazing show, EMINEM!!!!! I can’t believe I saw EMINEM. He put on a great performance. He did old slim shady and new stuff from his Recovery album. It was a perfect combo. Obviously for the encore he did YOU BETTER LOSE YOURSELF TO THE MUSIC YOU WANT IT YOU BETTER NEVER LET IT GO, YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT DO NOT MISS YOUR CHANCE TO BLOW CUZ OPPORTUNITY COMES ONCE IN A LIFETIME!!! Fireworks after, obviously. Blew me away. Then the Scissor Sisters, Gogol Bordello, and STS9. Again the music didn’t stop till 6am. It is sooooo much fun dancing. My old college roommate Dana was there who I went with last year. We spent that whole night together. it was wonderful. We partied together for 2 years and we love each other. It was great to be with her just because I miss what I used to have. It was nice. The last day the music went until 11.

One of the things I was looking forward to during my whole adventure is meeting people that just come to me. At Bonnaroo one of them was Patrick. Their car stalled in line so a few people behind them went ahead of them, our car being one. I was sad we lost them but I guessed it just wasn’t meant to be. But then once we got in we ran into him walking around, a few times actually that night and the next day inside Centro. Eye contact was electric and the hugs were great. The next night we had a smoke sesh just us in the middle of the night. I guess like a date according to Bonnaroo style. The last day we spent together. Jess and I went to their campsite in the day and smoked and hung out with his people. They are awesome and funny. Bonnaroo is not just music it is a community of people that I want to be around. People that you can just walk up to and start talking to, high five and walk away, and ask to hang out. We hung out with them for a couple hours then Patrick came with me and Jess inside. We saw Gregg Alman!!! Which was incredible. The Cold War Kids. Robert Plant!!!!! He played on the main stage, which was a huge grassy field in the evening time so it wasn’t hot. It was perfect. The three of us sat and smoked and I kept looking at this handsome man who loves what I love and is smiling like me. Kelly and Tay came and they took Jess to Explosions in the sky while Patrick and I stayed for the rest of the great member of Led Zeppelin. Just dancing and feeling free and being able to be yourself and do what you want in front of a perfect stranger is great. Then we went to see the jam sesh with Dr. John and Dan from The Black Keys. You can imagine how that was. By the last day the dust was uncontrollable and horrible. Patrick and I went back to his campsite and laid a blanket down and laid there for about an hour watching the sky and talking. It is funny how things happen and how people meet. I could tell he wanted to kiss me but it wasn’t the right time. After a bit we walked back to see the last act of Bonnaroo, after that I would meet my friends and we would hit the road. It was Widespread Panic and they put on such a great show. We danced and smoked and hugged and smiled at each other. Finally during the last song we were sitting on the ground and he kissed me. Tall, dark, and handsome he was. After that he walked me to the meeting spot and we said our goodbyes and left. I wrote him a note earlier with my number on it because I am going to be traveling to Milwaukee in about a month and he lives there and it would be cool to hang out with someone that lives there. So we said good-bye for now, kissed, hugged, and left each other. Kelly drove to a hotel about 20 miles away where we had our first showers and slept in an actual bed. Today we woke up and drove to Nashville. I’m in a hostel while they are in a hotel. I wanted to stay in a hostel because I wanted to meet people. So that’s what I’m going to go.

I’m sure I missed stuff telling about Bonnaroo and I'm sure stories will continue to pop into mind but for now that’s it. On with it, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment